The government/state pays a non contributory pension (eg: Old Age, War Veteran and Disability grants) monthly to those who qualify for this social security benefit. The grant is reviewed annually and announced in the Budget Speech. (For details on qualification requirements see the S.A. Social Security Agency website: www.sassa.gov.za )
The Department of Social Development also provides a limited subsidy for residents in frail care who qualify in terms of level of frailty and income.
We offer a wide range of facilities including independent living in cottage and flatlet complexes, a retirement village, residential accommodation and frail care. (In Woodgrove Retirement Village, Kurume Complex, Clivia Place, Sunnyside Park Home and Riverside Park Home.) Accommodation options also span a range of income levels.
- We have Home Care Assistants that have been trained to assist people in their own homes.
- We have a Respite Facility that allows for temporary accommodation (1 – 30 nights) in one of our homes which can be used for recuperation after hospitalization or to free family to go away for a short time.
- Social Clubs in Prestbury, Hayfields and town also provide for weekly interaction with other seniors.
It can vary quite significantly at each of the facilities so we recommend you make contact with us and we will look to help you find a residence that best suits your individual requirements.
A person can apply before they turn 60 years, however in most instances people must have turned 60 years before they can move in.
In the residences where we supply meals, we do cater for diabetics and other medically related dietary requirements. Individual menu preferences cannot always be accommodated.
In any of the independent living residences the seniors make their own dietary choices.
We are committed to person centred care. While participation is voluntary, we encourage seniors to remain as active and involved as they are able and welcome their contributions and guidance. Activities vary from facility to facility but include discussion groups; library access; bingo, crossword competitions, music hour and various musical entertainment put on by community groups; theme day functions; ball and exercise groups; bible studies and church services.
Family and friends are encouraged to remain an active part of the senior’s life and to assist with the taking of their family member/friend out for outings and shopping excursions whenever it is possible. We do have a mini bus service once a week at our independent homes, a shopper who shops for our frail residents at Riverside and our homes have a small “tuck shop” that stock the basics and can usually respond to specific requests. There is also a public taxi service that operates in the Pietermaritzburg municipal area at a fee.
Waiting lists vary so it is worthwhile making contact with the social work department to explore what is available.
- 24 hour professional supervision.
- Carers attending to the needs of residents 24 hours a day.
- All meals.
- A full laundry service which includes personal clothing.
- Fully furnished rooms or the option to bring in own furniture (within reason, mainly individual rooms, though some are two and four bedded rooms).
- Administration of medication. This includes obtaining new prescriptions, liaising with the pharmacies/state hospitals. The medicine from the state hospitals is free; the cost of medicine supplied by private pharmacies is for the residents’ account. In some facilities we have moved to a pharmacy provided service called “blister packs” for improved control of medication.
In an attempt to limit costs, physiotherapy and occupational therapy need to be privately organised and are for the resident's own account. Residents who qualify are taken to government facilities for these services where necessary.
Please visit the various facility pages to get an idea of the prices (links to Woodgrove Retirement Village, Riverside Park Home and Sunnyside Park Home.. However, we strongly recommend that you take the time to speak to one of the social workers to give them an understanding of your particular circumstances so that they can provide you with an accurate rental and help you explore the options.